Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Dark Side

Many months ago, my lovely wife Joan (aka The Erstwhile Librarian) convinced me that I should write a blog. Now I am a complete techno-nerd. I send e-mail with great difficulty. I am convinced that computers are basically witchcraft. When my screen freezes, rather than go through the appropriate re-boot procedures (what do boots have to do with anything?), I reach for the power button and scream “Die Pig” and then I count to ten...“One velociraptor, two velociraptors” (such a shut down procedure worked in Jurrasic Park, but with dire consequences). I turn the power back on and I start over.

So anyway, when Joan suggested a blog I said, “Uh…Ok!?” Of course I was clueless as to the niceties of blogging. I just thought I would write a few essays now and then and, if anyone read them, cool! If not, no biggie. And, for a while, that’s how it was…until my wife, an erstwhile librarian, became THE Erstwhile Librarian. At that point, sadly, I lost her to the dark side. At first she did an occasional post and solicited comments from family and close friends. Then, as she began to read other blogs and comment on them, her fan base began to increase exponentially and she felt the need to not only blog every day but to comment on every blog she read as well. Now, when she gets up in the morning, before she gets the newspaper, she turns on the computer and heads for the blogosphere. If she isn’t eating or sleeping, she’s on the computer.

Regrettably, this is partly my fault. I love the game of golf. It is my passion. For years, I have tried to get Joan to play with me (she takes lessons regularly) but to no avail. I said I felt sorry for her because she had no activity in her life that she was passionate about…HUGE mistake! She has discovered her passion and now she wants to drag me in with her.

Recently she has been nagging me to blog again, and so I did…and a whole bunch of lovely people responded with nice comments. If any of you are reading this…thank you. And if you like the look of my blog, thank Joan, who not only re-did my blog and her own, but also did her cousin's Moose Buyer blog as well. I don’t expect I will blog as often as Joan, but I will try.

6 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

I think Joan did a lovely job with your blog. And you're right, this blogging thing is like the dark side.
I've been sucked up in it for quite some time now and my dear husband tolerates it, but he does roll his eyes when I bring up some blogger's story to "real people." They are Real People. You're Real, aren't you? I just don't "really" know you.

Lynn said...

It's also your fault for buying her the 'Silver Wonder'. Tell the truth, if your lovely wife isn't in the Blogosphere, she is out shoe shopping.

thailandchani said...

Your blog looks great! Just clicked over here from Joan's blog. :)


Peace,

~Chani

sari said...

It's always nice to find a new blog to read!

Ralph said...

Rick, who cares about the 'process'...just write as you have, and sports metaphors are absolutely fine...Write on, Rick!

the moose buyer said...

you know I love what you write because you and I usually think alike. Don't stop. We can do election commentary blogs together.